Innovate UK has announced five startups as winners of its IC Tomorrow Future of Retail Innovation competition. Each of the five has been awarded up to £35k to ‘tackle some of the issues faced by the retail industry’, as well as mentoring from industry professionals.
“Consumers increasingly want more from their shopping experience and digital solutions are a key way for the industry to give consumers what they want”, says Matt Sansam, Innovate UK’s lead technologist, digital economy and IC tomorrow programme manager. “Each of the five winners demonstrates how new innovative technologies can be used to deliver positive interactions between the consumer and the retail industry”.
The winners, and their industry mentors
The five winners and their partner organisations are as follows:
- Thaw Technology Ltd partnering with Tesco and WRAP
- Cephalometrics partnering with Digital Anthropology Lab, London College of Fashion, University of the Arts, London (UAL)
- Action Artificial Intelligence partnering with Unilever
- Rewarding Visits Ltd partnering with Barclays
- Proxama partnering with Greater London Authority
The winners will work with their industry mentors to develop their prototypes, retaining total control over their intellectual property.